Old
02-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Rawg
CEM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Post hoc analysis.

Phoenix was up 2-0 and didn't need to produce any more offense than they did. Soon as we closed the gap they were able to notch another goal. I'm sure Coyotes were capable of generating more offense if that was ever required in this game. Yotes also got a goal called back that we got a break on that was clearly a puck that wasn't coverd. Even Dubnyk thought it was a legit 3-0 goal. That was still the first period..

We really didn't even give Smith a lot of work. He was good, but kind of like Roli good when the team in front him are all doing their jobs and all he has to do is cover angles, not give up bad rebounds. Not like we had any room around the crease all day anyway.
After the first phoenix went hardcore into their system which was 2 forwards forechecking and the third staying near the blueline (in the offensive zone) as a team like ours who generates chances off the rush its difficult to create chances and because there was always 3 back we had issues getting into the zone, But when we did we dominated them in the zone and it would essentially be 4 coyotes in the slot breaking up passes and 1 waiting to flick the puck out

Im having issues describing their system exactly but it seemed simply get the puck just past center and change after the 2 goal lead, They didn't have a quality chance at all in the 2nd or 3rd because they didnt need it, just sit on the lead,until the Doan goal which was just a snipe after our D was being aggressive for the equalizer, The reason talented teams win in the playoffs is because they have more time to study and expose the system because each has flaws, For example vs Detroit last year Phoenix lost because Detroit just played with the puck in their zone because they were that much skilled.

Smith made 1 or 2 quality saves but generally the forwards were already covered because of their forward collapse and us being stubborn with cross ice plays. That being said If we had buried a few of our chances and Dubnyk hadn't let in that soft goal.. As good as a move as whitney made around ryan whitney the shot was a fan and a 3 year old could have had it. I don't simply believe that mike Smith went from being a terrible AHL goalie who omark scored that SO goal on to being this amazing one of the best in the league in numbers goaltenders after 4 months in the offseason.

RNH/Hall/Hemsky looked ridiculously talented, like they knew they were all the best players on the ice and I felt that if we weren't playing phoenix that line would have had 2 or 3 goals, RNH looked particularly amazing and reminded me why I loved him. I did wince every time someone came near his shoulders though

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote