View Single Post
Old
02-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
In Carbonneau's defense, the team he rode to the unlikely 1st place/2nd most goals for was way less talented than the team today. And he's not a rookie coach like Cunneyworth, and he's probably learned a thing or two since his first stint - which wasn't so bad in my opinion because his 3rd D-pairing was friggin Bouillion-Dandenault.

I doubt he comes back though.

An AHL call-up would be fine if it weren't for the fact that Cunneyworth was one of the top coaching prospects in the league and he's shown to be inept in almost every way.
You seem to have forgotten how lucky the Habs were that year. A number of top contenders in the East were beset with injuries while the Habs were relatively free from them. The Habs had to play 7 games against the 8th place Bruins and they they were easily downed by the Umbergers in the second round.

Another thing: Carbonneau didn't handle the young players particularly well, he turned off Ryder, and his glaring at the referees didn't help. Carbonneau was a clever, talented player but a wretched coach. It's ironic that Gainey extended his contract and then fired him. I would be disgusted if Carbonneau were rehired. I'd just as soon have Mario Tremlay (ugh).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote