Old
02-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Not so. Dealing Kassian shows that Darcy recognizes that the most difficult hole to fill is skilled center. Much easier to bring in a winger with size over the summer. This is filling an organizational need. You don't get a center like Hodgson by piecing together grag-bag packages like Stafford, Gragnani and a 3rd. You have to be willing to cough up a rare, prized piece of potential like Kassian. I'm still not sure if Kassian will realize his awesome potential. Boom or bust, me thinks.
Yep. People wanna complain about the team getting smaller. It's an issue to be sure but not a strategic flaw. Let the team be as small as possible for the rest of the season for all I care, their playoff chances are such a crapshoot that it probably helps more than it hurts to be small and dynamic. Foligno will probably earn a roster spot next season if there's a decent opportunity. He's actually more physical than Kassian at this point (sans the big open ice hits) and though his offensive skills aren't as great he can absolutely bring an all-around game. McNabb should earn a spot. A bottom 6 center in Gaustad's mold can be acquired in free agency.

This is the kind of 1 step forward 1 step back move you have to make short-term if you want to get something so needed and coveted (a damn top 6 center) long-term. This is about as long-term as you can get, to get a NHL ready center who is also very young.

And let's not discount all these picks the Sabres have, along with plenty of prospect AND player assets. Who knows what may become of all of that. I'm very excited. Darcy's quote about improving that "second core" of Ennis and Myers etc behind the "old core" is spot on. Hodgson should fit in with these players strategically. Going forward the team needs a big, defensive centerman for the bottom 6 but does anyone think that is going to matter for this season?

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote