View Single Post
Old
01-29-2006, 08:59 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
What needs to be done?

After getting embarassed by Tampa Bay, it's clear that there is something really wrong with the Flyers. I know we've all atributed the problems to injuries, fatigue, coaching, leadership, etc.....but this team is in a real funk right now and they are not looking good at all. The question is, how do they pull out of this? It's clear that the Hitchcock message is going in and out of ears. It's clear that players are playing with their own agenda and not keeping the team in mind. It's clear that some players are being played right past the point of exhaustion and it's clear that the spark this team usually has is missing.

What do the Flyers do? We're close to the salary cap right now and let's face it, nobody wants any of our vets like Brashear, Therien, Savage, etc......The only players that we could move who have value are guys like KJ and Handzus and I seriously doubt we're going to move Zus anytime soon (although I could see us dealing KJ if the right deal came along). Everyone seems to think the Olympic break is going to help, but we're still going to have six players participating in the 2 week tournament, so that's not going to help everyone rest up. There's talk of making a move for a big forward if Keith doesn't come back, but then we're dealing from a position of weakness and that means we might have to seriously overpay for someone. And thanks but no thanks if it means giving up Carter, Umberger, or Richards. Those three are going to be the core of this team for the next 10 to 16 years, so it doesn't make any sense to rip it apart for the sake of a rental of a big forward.

I'm also wondering if perhaps the locker room has become a bit poisonous and the players really need to have a meeting with Hitch to really hammer out what the troubles are. Either way, something drastic needs to be done. This whole Jeckyl and Hyde manner that this team pulls is really starting to get old.