vCash: 500
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Eller-Plekanec-Bourque
Geoffrion-Gomez-Palushaj
Staubitz/Weber-Nokelainen-White

Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Campoli
Kaberle-Diaz

Scary but at least there are a few people playing where they should be able to.

If the current roster was healthy, I would like to see...

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Geoffrion-Eller-Leblanc
Moen-Nokelainen-White

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Diaz

I would look to upgrade Nokelainen and do what I could to move Gomez and Kaberle unless he proves himself a capable 5D who can be productive on the PP and not be a total liability 5 on 5.

It would be great to see Markov play 10 games or so this year just so we know if we have to replace him or greatly diminish his role. If his role needs to be diminished, moving Kaberle probably becomes even more important. May need to consider a buyout or loan.

Not sold on Weber or Diaz being part of the solution. They are both good puck movers with offensive capability. Weber has real PP ability and Diaz has played big minutes. But the team is going in a different direction and they should be looking to compliment the new look with some more mobile, hard hitting, shot blocking, crease clearing Dmen. Sounds like we may have a few on the way in Tinordi and Beaulieu but I think we need an answer for next year. I don't think it's Chris Campoli either.

Hopefully moved at the draft or during the offseason. Might make sense to keep one as insurance.

Someone I am sold on is Travis Moen. I would be working hard to lock him up. He's young, he's physical, he drives to the net and is a good Pker. Who would replace him? I'd give him what he wants, for as long as he wants. Maybe $6.75 over 3?

Gomez needs to sit or go down simply for the fact that this team has to be looking forward. We need to see the players we have in the roles they will be playing in next year. Give that 3rd line of Geoffrion-Eller-Leblanc 5 games and if they play poorly, slide Gomez back into the lineup. But he's not here next year. He's somehow on another team (hopefully not to the detriment to our prospect pool) or he's in Hamilton. Or Alaska.

Love that DD has stepped up into a 1st line centre role and love Tomas Plekanec but you wonder what the plan is here. The forwards we are acquiring are bigger, fast guys who can go to the net and forecheck and play well at both ends of the ice.

So if Eller is the present and future 3rd line centre, is the plan to have DD and Plekanec continue as the top 2 centres? Doesn't seem to fit with the new look. DD has great chemistry with Pacioretty and Cole and is producing at a surprisingly good but overall decent clip but Plekanec is a great 2 way, pride in the jersey, skill, playmaking centre that is probably a 2nd line c of a championship team.

Maybe that answer comes at the draft. With the lineup I proposed, I think a bottom 2-3 finish is likely and then who knows. Just hope they don't trade promising assets.

A definite need seems to be an upgrade on the 5/6 pair. Theo Peckham might be more available now that Nick Shultz is in town. Scott Hannan is a UFA I'd go for if he could be had for $1.5 or so. Same for Bryan Allen. I would do 1 yr deals. Give Tinordi and Beaulieu a year of pro and see where they're at. I also would look at Aaron Rome.

Best case is getting Grigorenko I think. Then dealing Desharnais, Weber, dumping Gomez and Kaberle, Picking up a better 5/6 pair and 4 line C (like Gaustad or other big, tough, good PK, great FO, great defensive C).

2012-2013 Montreal Canadiens

Pacioretty-Grigorenko-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Geoffrion-Eller-Leblanc
Moen-Gaustad-White

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Hannan-Rome/Diaz

Give that group and our prospect pool - including Kristo, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Palushaj, Gallagher - some time together and I think it could be a very good team. Potentially a championship team. And that what we have to be building towards. Not a team that will perennially make the playoffs but a team that will perennially be Stanley Cup contenders.

If we don't land Grigorenko or a truly impact player in the draft we have to go about getting one. This team lacks a gamebreaker and is suffering from what is hopefully a transition process from a team that was small, fast, patient, responsible, and deadly on the PP to a team that works hard, drives to the net, bangs bodies, uses skill to create opportunities and forechecks aggressively. The other possibility could be that the team truly has an identity crisis and has no plan.

Need to upgrade at GM and potentially as a coach. Would love to bring a winning atmosphere in here.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote