Thread: Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part X
View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 07:57 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
My conspiracy theory:

Ted, knowing the jury is out on George, let him know he should not sell futures seeing as how this is probably not their year.

He tells George he can, however, sell some assets as it is a sellers market.

Naturally George figures his job is on the line and that draft picks will do him no good.

He asks for roster players (as reported the return he wanted Hamrlik - young player) and the other team balks. He asks for the moon in order to try to make a "hockey deal" so they can better be prepared to "win now"

No team takes the bait.

George doesn't want draft picks as in his mind those will just diminish the teams depth and thus lower the chances of making/succeeding in the playoffs.

This would go along to what I had forseen prior to this day. To me its clear that George's job is in danger and he knows it. To me Ted told him there will be no "save your bacon/desperation trades" in the cards this year (trading young assets for high cap hit vets)

It would have clearly been wiser to get rid of guys like Hamrlik and Knuble at the very least. But to George that would hurt his chances of retaining his job since that relies on the success on ice the remainder of the year and having depth can only help that.