View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
There are lots of Maryland Capitals fans that were disenfranchised by the move south, but it was done to take advantage of the gentrifying Northern Virginia demographic boom, and I think to a large degree it was successful.

As mentioned, the Caps have their share of problems, but the fan base is not one of them. The fans are there, both in the building and the latent fan base that gets excited when the team does well. They draw, and they have become more of a presence in the DC and NoVa area.

The biggest problem is that Leonsis doesn't just own a team, he owns three teams and a venue. His empire is centered on the Verizon Center, and having the Capitals, Wizards and Mystics as tenants provides synergy.

I'd say that having more than a single exhibition is probably a good idea. The team recognizes that it hasn't done enough to acknowledge the Maryland fans that kept the team afloat in leaner times. Yet there are limits to how far they can go in terms of games, when the Verizon Center and its teams form a package deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Capitals regular season home game not at Verizon Center was the Winter Classic at Nationals Park. I don't see a lot of Baltimore games in their future.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote