View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 10:36 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Sure I want to see the Rangers win the Stanley Cup but I also want to be entertained. I want to have an emotional investment witht he players and team. I want to have victories along the way. I'd love to see hockey in June.

We used to have this argument when the team was bad and some advocated a tanking strategy to try and get a generational talent or two. For some it's either win the Cup or nothing. I'd much rather root for the team and hope for the years when the stars will align. Believe me, it will keep you from going crazy.
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I think part of the appeal of hoping for a generational talent is that it also helps you be entertained because generational talents bring a skill set that most other players simply don't.

I'm very pleased with where the team is today, but I still wish the team was a little bit more entertaining to watch. It's gotten MUCH better than it was 2-3-4 years ago. Still, if you stripped both teams of names, numbers and logos, I'd still prefer watching the Red Wings or Canucks than the Rangers. They just play a brand of hockey that is as close to my idea of hockey perfection as any team in the world.

I definitely believe that there are other accomplishments besides the Cup, though. Being a consistent cup contender and putting up successful regular season after successful regular season is no laughing matter. It might be frustrating to be a fan of a team like the Sharks, for example, that can never get over the hump, but at the end of the day, they are one of the league's more fortunate fanbases. They get a damn good team almost every year.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote