View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I still think we should pair Scandella and Spurgeon. They have great chemistry and they fit together and if Scandella finds some muscle & toughness, he's gonna be one tough customer. I was impressed by both of them early this year, and even though Spurgeon's been a bit ahead later this season to the point where he is our most reliable D-man, I can see those two paired together for a long time.

Now, the question remains, who will we pair with Gilbert? Brodin is essentially Spurgeon with higher ceiling and more focus on defense, but I wouldn't place him on first pairing right off the bat. Actually, he should start in AHL at first, get used to the small rink and then come up with the big boys... That is if he doesn't show something staggering in the camp. He is a left-hand shot so he'd technically fit well with Gilbert but they both lack physical play, which is going to be a problem. Kampfer shoots right, so he's not an answer either and he'd be a better fit with a Scandella-type player. Or Brodin.

I still think we're going to see either a trade in the draft or a big FA signing for a #1 defensive defenseman. A big, mean, strong, tough customer type of guy. I'll name him "Chronger" for now.

For D next year, I think it's going to look something like:

"Chronger" - Gilbert
Scandella - Spurgeon
Brodin/Falk - Kampfer/Prosser
Fredheim

Now, you might look at that and think "fair enough - wait, Kris Fredheim?!" And to you I answer, yes, Kris Fredheim. Why? Because even with his limited NHL experience, he has been good in AHL this year, he has some experience already and he was solid in his NHL stint as well. I mean, who else?