View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 12:52 PM
HabsSlappy

vCash: 500
We have a lot of nice prospects but few that will be impact players. I see only Beaulieu having a shot at being a top tier prospect.

Looking at players that can be expected to be here in the 2014-15 season (soonest I think we can contend) we have:

Line 1 - Pacioretty, Price, Subban
Line 1/2 - Beaulieu, Cole
Line 2 - Tinordi, Gorges, Plekanec
Line 2/3 - Eller, Emelin, Bourque, Desharnais, Leblanc, Gallagher, Ellis, Kristo, Bennett, Qualier, Nygren
Line 3 - Diaz, Weber, Geoffrion, Bournival, Nash, Holland, Dietz, MacMillan, Pribyl
Line 3/4 - White, Nattinen, Palushaj, Avtsin, Fortier, Engqvist, Pateryn
Line 4 - Schultz, Dumont
Line 4/5 - Conboy, Blunden

You may want to bump players up or down a level but in my eyes, that's how I see it. It is obvious that we need some top line talent. We have good prospects but the majority of them are borderline second line players or worse. Maybe one guy will impress and jump up but we have to plan that they won't.

Price, Subban and Pacioretty should be signed long term ASAP. Give them 5 to 8 year deals to decrease the cap hit if you can. Something like:

Price - Sign long term at 5,6,7,7,7,6,5,4 = 5.875M cap hit
Subban - Sign long term at 3,4,4,5,5 = 4.2M cap hit
Pacioretty - Sign long term at 2.5,3.75,4.5,4.75,5,5 = 4.25M cap hit (JVR contract)

We should also do everything we can to get get Parise and Suter this offseason. Unlikely that we get one, let alone both. But throw ridiculous money at them. Take the plunge and give them a long term deal that will attract other players.

Parise and Suter- 8,8,7.5,7,6,6,5,3 = 6.3M cap hit

You then have two more legitimate first line players and hopefully Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, etc...in the pipeline as another top line player.

Pacioretty/Parise/2012 Pick
Cole/Plekanec/Eller/Bourque
Geoffrion/Leblanc/Kristo/Gallgher/Desharnais/etc.
White/Schultz/Conboy/etc.

Subban/Suter
Beaulieu/Tinordi
Emelin/Gorges

Price/Subban

ps - I think ultimately Plekanec needs be dealt for futures in order for this team to take the next step. Maybe not this year, but within the next couple of years. Time to get some actual value out of our good players. Stop holding onto them until they are worth nothing.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote