View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 04:04 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Wouldn't his value be at its peak now since he has another year left on his contract at what is considered a cheap rate for a producing center?
That "peak now" is a long time - from before the deadline that just passed until the start of next year's regular season. I see no meaningful change in Roy's value between now and then. Honestly, his value may even go up slightly if the salary cap contracts and a team near the cap needs Roy's high-value-lower-dollar contract to replace a higher-cap-hit contract that other team already has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21
I was very surprised to hear such a (Kane) rumor beause roy+sekera would obviously still require a ++ from BUF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull
I hope we never make such a dumb trade.
Roy + Sekera, ++ for Kane? I'm with jj...

====
I'm not getting Play4miracles (mild?) discontent with the Hodgson trade.

Pre-deadline, Sabres lacked scoring depth and centers.
They got 8 years younger at the center position (Hodgson vs. Gaustad).
They gave up an equally young, large, wing who appeared to have good hands and puck control along boards, down low, and in corners. It will be easier for BUF to replace Kassian's role and production (both admittedly important) in the offseason than it would have been to acquire a young near-ppg center, something they've needed to do for several years without success.

I speculate Hodgson will be paired with Vanek and Pomms, rather than Roy, because Pomms can take some of Hodgson's defensive assignments (while Hodgson continues to develop) better than Ennis and Stafford could. Of course, other roster moves in the offseason could change my view.

Lastly, I wouldn't be surprised if Gaustad is re-signed come July 1. He still would slot well in the BUF lineup, regardless of Darcy's trades & draft this offseason. Unless it's illegal, I wouldn't be surprised if Darcy requested Gaustad and agent allow him the chance to match any UFA offer come 7/1.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote