View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 06:09 PM
PavelDatsyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral zone trap13 View Post
I feel that +/- is not an accurate stat to determine how good a player is at defence (or offence) So here is my idea: A players +/- compared to the team's +/-. So for example, right now, Claude Giroux is -2 on the Philadelphia Flyers who are so his new +/- would be -14. Jason Garrison is +8 on the -16 Florida Panthers so he would be +24. +/- isn't a super big deal, but I believe that this would be an improvement and would make it so that just being on a good team won't give you a very high +/-.
+/- is not a defensive stat. For whatever reason it has become synonymous with measuring a player's defensive ability. It's an overall stat that literally measures how many more goals you score at ES (generally) compared to your opponents while that player is on the ice. Good players who have high +/- ratings help their teams be better teams, teams are not born as a "good team", causing their players all to have ridiculous +/- ratings. Punishing a player because he makes his team better is counter productive to say the least.

What it does not include however, are the matchups; who you are playing against, who is helping you do that, what situations/role your coach is using you in (offensive role with high zone start, etc), and minutes (both quantity and quality).

PavelDatsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote