View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 06:34 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It is sad actually. No top ten scorer in the last 25 years, little in the way of elite talent... a lot of people don't know what it's like to see a true superstar play for their team. The closest we've seen is Andrei Markov and Alexei Kovalev.
Yup. I mean, most fans probably started to really follow the Habs after the Roy era. Hell, probably during the Hacket days when the team was craptacular....so in comes Gainey and the Habs get better. Markov, Souray, Price, Koivu (who I was told was the greatest Habs captain ). Habs start going to the playoffs and pulling off some improbable wins against the Bruins....then it all comes to a head and they get to the final four. That is as good as it has gotten for MANY fans on this board. So they're comparing this team to the early 2000 teams and things look pretty good from that point.

However, the older fans are comparing these teams to the Roy teams and the 70's, etc. I almost felt like crying when the Habs missed the playoffs in 99. It had never happened in my entire existence at that point. Habs were built with character guys, some true goal scorers, fighters, hitters, etc. Guys that took pride in wearing the jersey. Guys who would cry when they were traded. It's different now.

I understand where Red is coming from.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote