View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 07:58 PM
flyersfan187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I can't dispute that at all, but his effort on the ice was NEVER an issue.

I'm starting to become very sensitive about Richards stuff now haha. I feel like everybody just re-invents their entire image of a player because they are now gone. I don't get it. Mike Richards was ADORED in this city. He was "the next Bobby Clarke". He busted his ass 100% of the time.

If you want to question whether he was the right fit to lead THIS team, go ahead. If you had big issues with his being a bar hopper (I don't, but hey), go ahead. If you had issues with him being an innately quiet person, and therefore not liking attention, go ahead. It IS something that a captain has to deal with.

But people just throw the guy under the bus. He gave everything he ever had on the ice. He should be praised for his time here.

On the topic at hand, I feel Giroux has similar effort. It's great.

Edit:
Mike Richards probably had/has half of the talent of a Jeff Carter, and also certainly less talent than someone like Giroux. Mike Richards is in the NHL because of his effort. He gets more out of his skillset than almost anyone I've ever seen.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Richards was great for this team and for this season. Just watching highlights makes you want him back on this team. With that being said, if Giroux has the backing of the team I am not against making him the captain if they think that is the right choice. Richards would have been a great captain on the Flyers but with him butting heads with the head coach that made things difficult.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote