View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Savard wanted Gilbert Brule instead of Price... So there goes your theory.
LOL...let's just say you're not going to win any logic contests anytime soon.

The fact that Savard would have drafted Brule, while certainly a bad move, isn't enough to disprove my belief that Savard is a better asset manager than Gainey. Savard brought in Timmins to head junior scouting and the draft, which is possibly the best move he made as Habs GM. Since then, the Habs probably draft more NHLers than any other team (even if they often end up with other teams).

And you know for a fact that Savard wanted Brule? You were at the draft table? I wasn't there, but I've also heard that Bourdon (RIP) would have been Savard's pick.

While Price is a very solid goalie, picking a goalie with a top 5 pick is not a particularly good asset management move. Look at the number 1s around the league. How many were top 10 picks? Where were Rinne and Lundqvist drafted? My point is that you're just as likely to find a good NHL goaltender in early rounds as you are in later rounds, since they aren't developed enough at 18 to know how they project as professionals.

Gainey is unquestionably a good leader. He just wasn't a very good asset manager or GM.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote