View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Post lock out Gainey was a low tier GM.

Gomez (he gave Ryan McDonagh to replace Koivu by Gomez!) and Ribeiro were horrible moves.

Anointing a very young Price as this team #1 goalie (shipping away vet Huet to make room for Price weeks before the playoffs of our 104 points season) and losing Beauchemin (a tough D with a booming shot) because Gainey failed to understand the rules put in place during the lockout were also huge mistakes.

I also disliked how he managed most of our young players: you need to offer them on and off ice support.

A great capatin but a low tier post lock out GM.

Heck... imo Gauthier >>> Gainey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Aside from Gomez, all the other acquisitions did good by us:

Cammalleri
Gionta
Moen
Gill
Martin

If we still had Muller and a player of Markov's caliber (losing Wiz and Hamrlik as backup plans), we wouldn't be where we are today.

/apologist

I still think Bob did great. Always compare with what he was given, and what he left to his successor.
"... I still think Bob did great. Always compare with what he was given, and what he left to his successor."

When Gainey took the helm, he had, thanks partially to André Savard who cleaned up the Houle mess, a lot of good assets to work with:

Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Andrei Kostitsyn
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Plekanec – Lapierre

Markov – Rivet
Souray – Komisarek
Hainsey – Beauchemin
Bouillon - O'Byrne

Halak

All those players were in the organisation when Gainey took the helm.

PS the 2003 draft is Savard/Timmins' work; Gainey was hired 2-3 weeks before the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Andre Savard chose Mike "healthy scratch" Komisarek at #7 overall ahead of Mikko Koivu.
Name me a better pairing (Mtl) than Markov - Komisarek in the last decade? Komisarek's career went downhill AFTER his fights vs Lucic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I've been surprised Gainey was not more of a good GM for us. He had success in Minnesota and Dallas and was one of our greatest on-ice leader. But in Montreal he seemed to have crawled to pressure. The way he made the sort of reckless moves a mature mind doesn't do like trading Ribs because he didn't like his attitude .
"I've been surprised Gainey was not more of a good GM for us. He had success in Minnesota and Dallas..."

Before the lock out, it was easier to correct your Gomez like mistakes; think of Donald Audette and his huge contact.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-28-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote