View Single Post
Old
02-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Yup. I mean, most fans probably started to really follow the Habs after the Roy era. Hell, probably during the Hacket days when the team was craptacular....so in comes Gainey and the Habs get better. Markov, Souray, Price, Koivu (who I was told was the greatest Habs captain ). Habs start going to the playoffs and pulling off some improbable wins against the Bruins....then it all comes to a head and they get to the final four. That is as good as it has gotten for MANY fans on this board. So they're comparing this team to the early 2000 teams and things look pretty good from that point.

However, the older fans are comparing these teams to the Roy teams and the 70's, etc. I almost felt like crying when the Habs missed the playoffs in 99. It had never happened in my entire existence at that point. Habs were built with character guys, some true goal scorers, fighters, hitters, etc. Guys that took pride in wearing the jersey. Guys who would cry when they were traded. It's different now.

I understand where Red is coming from.
Even in the years after the dynasty 70s teams we had some good clubs in the late 80s. I remember the feeling before a game of expecting to win. It certainly wasn't a guarantee but we always expected to win. That feeling has been gone for a long, long time now.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote