View Single Post
Old
01-30-2006, 03:29 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

vCash: 500
I've been iceskating since I was 3 and rollerblading since I was seven. I am now 21. Rollerblading will help you learn to ice skate but it is not quite the same. I'd compare rollerblading to speedskating where the majority of the blade touches the ice/ground and you build up a lot of speed with big powerful strokes. For iceskating, only a small portion of the blade should be touching the ice (since the blade is rockered). This gives you a lot of freedom in directional movement (especially changing direction at high speed).

Iceskating is hard to learn. It takes a lot of patience and you will get a few bruises. Generally it takes about four years to learn to iceskate well. Stopping properly is one of the hardest things for people to learn. If you are experienced in skiing, snowboarding or wakeboarding you might learn a bit quicker because of similar reliance on balance and "edges".

If you have a little time and money take a powerskating class if you can find one. Proper technique is important and teaching yourself will be a lot slower.

Good luck.