View Single Post
Old
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Although I don't actually believe that the Habs have suddenly "realized they needed to get more size" and that's why they traded for Bourque; it was a convenient way to justify giving away the best player in a trade without actually saying they were trying to remove a malcontent or free up cap space. They recognized they could use more size (and hence pursued Cole), but that was not the objective of the Bourque/Cammy trade (or if it was, then it was a demonstration of incompetence).
The Cammalleri trade was clearly about cap space. For all the Gauthier hate, no GM in their right mind is going to admit that they are trading a playoff hero and one of the more talented forwards who was supposed to be part of the solution because he was a malcontent in a season we were losing control over, and that extra 3M can go a long way in retooling.

What he said about Bourque was true, he is a player that can contribute. But you get what you pay for, Bourque is a Kostitsyn like depth scorer on a depth scorer's contract. Cammy had a bad contract but there is a reason he is worth more than Bourque.

If the plan was to tank all along than trading Cammalleri and Kostitsyn did make sense, as we now have a lot more cap space going forward. But it's clear the team is a lot worse without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Looking at behind the net, Semin usually end up facing about the same (slighty higher or slightly lower) quality of opposition as Ovechkin and always harder opposition than Backstrom on average in a season so I don't think we can say he only produces without them because he's facing weaker opposition. He plays alot with Laich who tends to play tough minutes. He might thrive with a two-way hardworking center.
I think Plekanec or Eller fits perfectly with Semin.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote