Thread: Speculation: Too many centers next year?
View Single Post
Old
02-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Haaabs

vCash: 500
As much as I love him I feel that Pleky should have been traded during the deadline or should be during the next one. I think he would waive his NTC if we are out of the playoffs and we send him to a team that has a shot at the cup.

The only reason we didn't is because that would be a indication that we're rebuilding and our management doesn't seem to want to do that.

Pleky would fetch the most on the market. He can shut down opposing players, play the PP and is part of the #1 PK in the league. A lot of our short handed chances are thanks to his play. He's also signed for the next couple of years at a good price.

I also think Eller has been growing into filling the same role as Pleky. He too plays the PK and has shown how good he is at it. He'll probably even be better next year, especially if we give him some wingers to work with.

What I'd like to see:

#1 Desharnais: they're already our #1 line
#2-3 Leblanc: he's looked better at center, give him wingers and see what he can do
#3-2 Eller: play him vs the opposing team's #1 lines, I think he can handle it and keep the puck cycling in the opposing zone
#4 White: Everything you want in a grinder

If we draft a center, have him center the #1 line in Hamilton, unless he's ready to center our #2 line then I don't want him to rot on our bench and be asked to play a defensive and grinding role if that's not how he plays.

I doubt we see anything close to that. I'd be willing to sacrifice a year if it meant letting our young guys learn. I doubt that we'll be able to make enough changes that we'll be competing for the Cup next year so I'd rather spend the year getting everyone ready to make a run at it in 2013-2014

Besides look at Ottawa. They thought they were sacrificing this year to let the young guys learn.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote