View Single Post
Old
01-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
I like David Poile, and I think he has done a very good job of building this team. However, I think his best strength is also his greatest weakness. He is patient to a fault, at times...You can see that in the lack of a first line center since...forever, most noticeably the past 3 seasons where we have been pushing for the playoffs and in the lack of a physical defensemen. He isn't a gambler. He waits for the value trade, and cashes in. We don't get burned often, and we certainly win a lot of trades. In fact, I would say even the trades that were 50/50 or a loss were usually us dealing from a heavy strength to begin with. He does a lot of things right, but he probably could do some things better (maybe media relations...) Anyways, the guy is a great GM, and we are lucky he was in command rather than GMDM over in Columbus!

Sillinger should help out our even strength power. We are so bad even strength, its hard to imagine how many points we have accumulated this year. Its hard to see us going deep when the weak teams of the league can still outplay us at ES all throughout the game. That being said, this move should help us cycle and set Kariya up a bit better. Sillinger likely won't be as effective as Legwand was early on (I miss the nightly breakaways...), but he does have a decent set of hands/vision.

It sounds like Poile really wants somone to play physical on defense. I can't think of who he is targeting....Witt is certainly a possibility, but I am really wary of him. Rathje maybe...although the Flyers have been hurting a ton on defense lately and really couldn't trade him...I couldn't see us going after a Cullimore, Hill, or Klee...although all could probably be had. So what is he looking at? Who would deal us a physical no.3-4 defensemen? There just aren't too many effective/cheap ones out there...much less young ones that we could possibly resign. And if we deal for one? Does that mean Suter rides as the 7th man or goes down? Is Eaton or Zids moved? How diasastorous could it be for or PP when probably the best right handed PP guy is removed from the point....Lots of questions, not many answers. I think most will be left for the off-season. After all, as I already said Poile's greatest strength seems to be his biggest weakness.