View Single Post
Old
02-29-2012, 01:15 PM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
So you don't trade UFA's if you have only 1 but if you have a lot then you need to trade them all? I'm sure a lot of GM's would love to do that, the fans would be thrilled to see a bunch of players traded for draft picks right before the playoffs.
You make an effort to understand whether or not a player has a commitment to staying to your team. If you realize that one of your players (while you MAY make 8th) is going to leave for nothing, I think it'd be in your best interest to turn that player into an asset going forward rather than hope for an unlikely miracle.

The year we knew that we were going to be rid of all of our key players to rebuild. It would've been smart to get something back for them. Instead, we did not, and we overpaid for some free agents which you and I both know is the wrong way to build a club.

If you want to build your team through the draft, you better make sure you have picks coming in and sign the players you do develop to deals or else you'll end up like this team. Forever in mediocrity, hoping for a miracle run and ebbing from 7th to 10th year after to year.

This potential top pick is the best thing to happen to this franchise in a long time, since the lottery that yielded us price. This management has made it too common place to lose players to free agency, give up on young players too quickly, make deals to fill holes and then create that same hole again to waste another draft pick to fill it once more, and to lose trades.

I say it is acceptable to lose a player to free agency. It happens to every team. But to do it on a consistent basis, year after year, that is how you become a mediocre team with only mediocrity on the horizon.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote