View Single Post
Old
02-29-2012, 01:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You make an effort to understand whether or not a player has a commitment to staying to your team. If you realize that one of your players (while you MAY make 8th) is going to leave for nothing, I think it'd be in your best interest to turn that player into an asset going forward rather than hope for an unlikely miracle.

The year we knew that we were going to be rid of all of our key players to rebuild. It would've been smart to get something back for them. Instead, we did not, and we overpaid for some free agents which you and I both know is the wrong way to build a club.
Sounds all well and good but again there's a reason why you don't see teams in the playoffs trading UFA's. You are talking about one instance where we had a bunch, when the team went and upgraded the talent from what they lost imo.

While what you say makes sense if you are building a hockey team, but the reality is hockey is a business first and foremost. When millions of dollars are on the line, it's easy to sit on the computer and say they should do what's best for the future. When you are writing the checks for all the big salaries, I bet you would think a little differently.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote