View Single Post
Old
02-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Tadite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
First of all the link between CTE and fighting is NOT established.
I don't think people are seriously suggesting that getting punched in the head often isn't going to be a issue.

Quote:
I think that the link between other forms of contact ( checking/boarding) will be far more direct,
Percentages matter. So what is it? 25% of CTE is due to fighting? 10%? Either way less sounds better then more. It's not much of an argument to claim that hockey is dangerous so why worry about it.

Quote:
slippery slope and come out and advocate that the NHL actually become the no hitting league.
You can play hockey without targeting the head and getting into fights. Some people suggest no head-shots = no hitting. Or no fighting = no hitting. Not all that sure why. Seems just like a made up argument. Unless no one hits in college or in most national tournaments. I seem to have missed the brawls during the Olympics or in the Frozen Four...

Quote:
Secondly, you can't protect people from themselves. The overwhelming majority of fights ( with the exception of Vityaz) are consentual,
Of course you can. These aren't adults. They're kids. You routinely keep kids from doing stupid things. That's basic parenting.

Quote:
I can assure you that the people who do drop them are exceedingly aware of the potential consequences. If the basis of your position requires that you infantilize the players in order to act as their nanny, I imagine you can see why some people would take offense.
You don't need to infantilize kids. They're kids. They aren't players. They're kids playing a game. Kinda of a big difference and if hockey wants to exist they'd better think about it quick.