View Single Post
Old
02-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Tadite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Percentages DO matter, what if the majority of CTE stems from checking ( legal or not) ? Would you advocate eliminating it, or is your concern for " player safety" only linked to your desire to get rid of fighting ? If you are really concerned for player safety, would it not be reasonable to restrict the most injurious activities first ?
Hockey without fighting is still hockey. If we get to a point that hockey itself has a high degree of connection to CTE then we're screwed.

I don't know the answer to that. To be honest, I'm just assuming that football would be worst. Much more violent and more importantly more reliant on repetitive hitting. It's the reason why DL/OL guys seem to have the most problem. Every single play they're getting hit in the head. I don't we have the same issue in hockey. Every-time you're on the ice you aren't getting hit in the head just to play in football that's your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
A 16 or 17 year old certainly is aware of the consequences of dropping the gloves,
I don't think a 16 year old is aware of anything. His choice doesn't matter. His parents choice does. That's really the long-term problem. If parents say no when the kids 6 or 10 or first wants to play we have real problem.

At this point we're not just thinking about the health of current players but of the next generation. CTE being front page news on every newspaper in the country isn't exactly great for youth programs (not even counting how crazy expensive hockey as become). So far the news is about football... thank god...