Old
02-29-2012, 03:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I should preface this thread by saying: I like Brian Boyle. I think he is probably a nice guy, he works incredibly hard, and his teammates all seem to like him.

But going into the playoffs, do you guys feel uncomfortable with him as our third line center? Considering that Tortorella loves to roll three lines and play them interchangeably; is Boyle a strong enough center to be effective in the playoffs? Personally, I just don't see it.

I've always thought of him being a better fit as a 4th line winger (getting seven minutes a night), then as a shutdown defensive center. I think his general lack of skating speed as well as agility always seems to keep him a step or two behind the play. His wingers, Prust and Dubinsky, always seem to be carrying the workload, with Boyle just "kinda there".

I know he makes the occasional nice defensive play. But I think he just isn't built for being a center with his lack of foot speed. The center position requires a skater to cover a huge area very quickly(especially in the defensive zone). Perhaps they should move Dubi back to center, and switch Boyle to wing?

Dubinsky, at one time, was one of our best face-off guys. Perhaps it might help him considering he has been trying to be more of a playmaker as of late. Dubi also is just as good if not better than Boyle on defensive side of the puck.
What are the options?