View Single Post
Old
03-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
Nothing exactly earth-shattering here. It's never been a secret that if JVR hopes to fulfill his immense potential, he needs to get meaner, more assertive, more physical, and more confident (God knows how many times I've written those exact words before on this board). In order to be a power forward in this league, he needs to play with, you know, power. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a part of JVR's innate personality. You either have that edge as part of your mental makeup, or you don't. It's not something that can simply be manufactured. The times when JVR has played with a snarl, he's been downright unstoppable. The problem, as Boruk points out, is his consistency when it comes to playing that way. He still plays way too soft for a guy his size and far too often reminds me of Jeff Carter when he streaks down the wing and tries to beat the defender wide with his speed... only to eventually run out of real estate and either lose the puck along the boards or fire a weak shot on net from a bad angle. Rinse, wash, repeat. JVR barely even tries to stick-handle through defenders anymore, which makes me wonder if he himself has internal doubts pertaining to his skill level.

We keep waiting and waiting for something to click with JVR and for him to take off, but I know I'm not alone when I say I'm increasingly dubious if it will ever happen. Regardless of the fact that he's been playing with a nagging injury this season, I'd still sell while his value around the league is high and try to acquire a legitimate top-four defenseman in return -- which is something this team needs more desperately for the immediate future anyway.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote