View Single Post
Old
03-01-2012, 07:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1505
We had a past thread with some information. But the NHL had to give a special allowance for the event to happen.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...highlight=howe

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/blogpostprint.htm?id=7004

Quote:
For Mark Howe, next week’s pre-game event planned prior to the Red Wings’ game in Philadelphia, is icing on the cake.

And why wouldn’t it?

By reaching the pinnacle of an NHL player’s career with his enshrinement into the Hockey Hall of Fame this season, Howe joined the elite of his profession. That experience, coupled with his dad’s attendance at the ceremony, was the crème de la crème.

So when Philadelphia owner Ed Snider called Howe and asked the former defenseman if he was fine with having his black-and-orange No. 2 raised to the rafters at the Wells Fargo Center, Howe said, “Sure.”

But next Tuesday’s ceremony was nearly nixed by the league, which apparently prohibits pre-game events on the ice once the calendar flips to March.

“Ed told me that the league told him ‘no’, but they really wanted to do this with the Red Wings in town,” said Howe, the Wings’ director of pro scouting.

As a courtesy, the Flyers put in a call to the Wings’ front office just to double-check if they were OK with honoring the former player, which they both share in common.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...ing-Up/2/42735

Quote:
Q: Mark, extra special to have your dad here, is he going to be here Tuesday, too?

Oh yeah. Anything I do in my lifetime is not going to compare to what my children do, so everything they do means so much more. It makes me so proud to be a part of their lives. So if I just put that into perspective I know what it meant at the Hall of Fame for my dad. This is on the same level as that. This is the town, this is the city where I put the pieces together for me to get in the Hall of Fame. I have my dad here and my brother and my children. That's what it's all about. If I don't have them there with me to share it with, it doesn't mean near as much.

Q: When did you find out?

"It was right after the Hall of Fame. Ed Snider gave me a call and I kind of laughed. It was the second or third one that I had ever gotten. He started off the converstation with what I was doing on March 6th. I said I hadn't planned my schedule out that far in advanced. He said the Red Wings were going to be playing in Philadelphia and I said that I would probably be at the game then. He said do you miind if I retire your jersey? So, I was pretty excited about it. The couple talks I had with Mr. Snider were much along the same lines. He delivered it nice. It was the highest honor you could receive in the Philadelphia Flyers organization."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-02-2012 at 08:57 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote