View Single Post
Old
02-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Blackjack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius
Iíve probably averaged about 3 hours a week on the ice just skating around. Mostly in public skate sessions. People ask me whatís the trick, Practice.
Listen to this guy.

I was in almost exactly the same situation as you, just 2 years older (21, this is about 3 years ago.)

Here are my tips:

1. **MOST IMPORTANT** Please Please PLEASE do NOT rent your skates. I cannot emphasise this enough. Rental skates are designed for longevity, so they are build completely rigid. It is almost impossible to flex your ankles in them, and this means you can't bend your knees. I would go as far as to say that it's impossible to learn how to skate in rental skates (well, beyond the most basic stuff) another danger is that if you use rental skates you might hate it so much that you give up.

2. There are really two elements of skating. Balance and strength. The balance part is actually not to hard. It will seem hard at first, but it's like riding a bike.

The reason it takes so much longer to learn to skate is because of the strength part. The stabilizing muscles in your ankles, legs, and back need to be tremendously strong. The only way to do this (that I know of) is to skate skate skate skate. The more you skate, the stronger those muscles will get, and the better you will skate, it's as simple as that.

I'm a maniac - I try to get to the arena 2 or 3 times a week in addition to playing hockey once a week. But it's worth it. Compared to the guys who just go out and buy pads without learning how to skate first, it's like I have rockets in my skates. I'm just now starting to get on the level of the more experinced players.

How do you think it feels to score a goal against guys who have been playing since childhood? Tonight I scored two

Mobius: It's funny you said that. I'm also probably a B/C level skater, and I also can't handle the puck to save my life. I bet it has to do with the fact that I learned to skate at public sessions where you can't have a stick/puck on the ice.