Thread: John Lammers
View Single Post
Old
02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Dr GLU

vCash: 500
You don't discount junior scoring altogether. You just can't take junior scoring in their final season as a barometer of their pro potential. When you're 20, you're just more developed than the younger competition, and you're expected to have a good season (unless you're a pure role player like Wathier).

Now when guys are staying near the scoring lead in their draft seasons or before (or immediately after depending on their age at draft time), then you have to consider them as possible offensive prospects in my book until they show otherwise (see Steve Ott).

I don't know why the Stars continue to draft two-way guys who *may* develop offensively early. Eriksson's and Morrow's progress seem to be the exception rather than the rule with these picks. Now, more than ever, with a lot of the Stars top players on the backside of their careers, they need to take a gamble on a high-risk, high-reward guy. I still don't see a true first line player in the system, no disrespect to Eriksson, Jokinen, or Polak. The defense has been addressed for the most part. Goaltending is in good shape if you consider that they won't be in a position to need a new starter for a while after the Turco extension.

I don't think Hagos was not taken too high, BTW. He's a very solid third round pick. Agree on Sawada and Crombeen, but the jury's still out on Clune. Neal, I think will develop more offense once he's physically mature. At this point, he doesn't seem to have the stamina or muscle to hold up over the course of a season (not surprising at 6-3, 190).