View Single Post
Old
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Aside from not putting up points, he's been playing pretty well in other aspects of his game. He's played well defensively and certainly on the PK.... He's not a player who's struggling in all facets of his game, just offensively. If he was struggling in all aspects of his game I'd advocate benching him but I certainly don't advocate doing that when he's contributing to the team in other areas. I certainly don't support benching him in a game when Callahan is out of the line-up and Dubi & Cally comprise our top PK unit. Dubinsky should have been out there killing penalties with his fresh legs.
Disagree,

I've been in the Dubi's support camp but look at his progression this season: at first it was "oh, he just doesn't score goals but he gets helpers so he's still producing". Then it went to "yeah, he's struggling offensively, but he's doing well in other facets of the game". And here's yesterday's game with Cally out of the line-up, it was the perfect opportunity for Dubi to step-up. Instead, he takes a costly, unnecessary, dumb penalty that we all know for sure was addressed less than a week ago when Del Zotto got his penalty. And now he's hurting the team in addition to his offensive struggles. He definitely deserved what he got.

Moreover, huge props to Torts for making him sit - not only it was a signal to Dubinsky, it was the signal to the whole team (that got the message after somewhat poor effort in the first) that responded in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Otherwise, for this game my three stars are the ones who've been (undeservingly, IMHO) blamed on this board as underperforming or somewhat underappreciated. First, Boyle had a great game (even more so than Prust who struggled in the first period). This is why I'm comfortable with him as our 3rd line center - he was VERY physical throughout and he had offensive opportunities that his line finally was able to convert into a goal. Second, Biron came up big after allowing the first goal, keeping all Carolina's (5-hole) shots away from the goal allowing the team to tie, go ahead and then ice the win in the 3rd. Finally, I think Bickel had a very strong game especially considering that he's been playing a forward position before and that he had to step up after DZ left the game. Almost 12 min of solid effort!!!

kovazub94 is online now   Reply With Quote