Thread: In arena pride!
View Single Post
Old
03-02-2012, 09:22 AM
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill

vCash: 500
It's funny - I've always thought similar things about times when I've been in American arenas or watched American anthems on TV.

---

I've witnessed a lot of Leafs games in person, and the giant flag is a recent addition. I'd say it has more to do with engaging the fans and attempting to create more atmosphere than any sort of national pride. The ACC can be a real deadzone. It's a lot of suits, and not a real rowdy crowd. You see a different side of the city when you come to the ACC to watch Raptors games and Toronto Rock lacrosse games. The big flag is one of a few little details the game crew have added to try and add to the "experience" of a Leafs game.

Yeah we sing along with the anthem and always belt it out - but Amercians do the same for their anthems anytime when I've been to a game in Buffalo or how they belted it out when I was at Fenway Park a few summers ago.

Personally, I think the whole "anthems before pro sports" is now an overdone tradition. I love Canada, I am a very proud Canadian, and I love my anthem, but I do get tired of having to hear it over and over again while I'm working at the ACC.

There's much more meaning to me when I hear it at the Olympics, or at the World Juniors, etc.

And especially since the NHL is such a global league, it's not like the anthem to me represents my team in any fashion (I do root for a US team afterall)...

That's my two cents.

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote