View Single Post
Old
11-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
is it or is not a fact that the owners have agreed to each and every contract that an NHL player has ?

dr
Fact, absolutely!

From my previous post: "The owners have, in fact, gotten themselves into this economic mess, no doubt."

And, pragmatically speaking, any rollback or drag on salaries coming out of the next CBA will be temporary and will last only as long as the first owner makes the next absurd contract decision...and others follow suit.

Richard, I understand and agree that there should be full disclosure of revenues and uniformity in accounting for those revenues league-wide. My cynicism is based on seeing countless past examples of the unions refusing to acknowledge the numbers provided by owners. Perhaps legitimately, perhaps not. In fact, the only instance where there is consensus on "revenues" seemingly is the NBA, as the annual salary cap is adjusted to reflect a certain percentage of total league revenue. Would be interesting to find out how they managed to arrive at an understanding in that case.

PS - I am not an advocate of a salary cap, certainly not a hard cap.