Thread: Speculation: 2012-2013 Sharks Roster analysis
View Single Post
Old
03-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Gilligans Island

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
Handzus won't be bought out. DW never does this and Handzus is only signed for another year. He'll be a Shark next season.
Agree with what you wrote and most posters do as well. It's just early exploratory discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Re: there's no precedence in buying a player out. I'd counterargue that what DW did to (Kyle) McLaren and Niitty are effectively the same. He stashed both of them for cap space (in Kyle's case) and goalie depth (in Niitty's case). In Kyle's case, we don't know if DW would have bought him out if he could. I believe we were so tight against the cap that year a buyout wasn't feasible. We definitely were tight against the cap the following year.

So, I ask - what's the difference really between buying a player out vs. stashing them in the AHL/Europe? Not a ton for a veteran like Handzus. A buyout can actually be beneficial for a vet b/c he'd have the chance to sign with another club at a more friendly cap hit. Obviously, if DW could trade first, he'd explore that route.

If we sign Stuart and re-sign our FAs - Winnik, Moore, Galiardi, Braun Desi, and Wingels. I'll be happy. Winchester is gravy. This team would have another year to gel and develop better chemistry.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote