View Single Post
Old
03-03-2012, 01:55 AM
GeneralManager*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMath View Post
Oh well then ok, my bad !!

I would sign him 3.75 millions per years for 15 years !! That the concept right ? More years, lower the cap hit ... plain in simple !!! Just throwing out a number !! Couple 250k more or less ... who care ... that not the point of the thread to say his value right ?? And lol if you think 2 millions over 8 years doesnt change anything ... I hope we do business someday !!

FYI, go check the average salary the goalie you posted when they signed their long term deal... then check the term. You should notice that 4,75 millions is far off the chart.

Price is different because, like you said, is younger. I really hope you are right and Price accept a very long term contract on a very friendly cap hit (5.25 or less)...but when is the last time a franchise player/goalie accepted that kind of contract ??
Yah, because the difference between 5 million and 4.75 million (which is just a number i threw out there) is the same as the difference between 3.75 and 4.75 million. I could have said 5 million and you would probably not have gone off on a tangent. If we did business together i'd probably make you go bankrupt while i swim in my money like scrooge mcduck but that's another story.

Price will be an RFA, not an UFA..those goalies averaging 6.25 million got those contracts as unrestricted free agents and that's a big difference. The habs can give price 2.75 million on a one year contract pending arbitration if they wanted to because they'd have no competition from a team to "one up them" unless there's an offer sheet. 4.75 million for an RFA goalie is pretty darn good for Carey, how many goalies that have yet to become unrestricted make more than that (jaro makes 3.75)? Giving price a 2 million a year raise on a contract where he isn't an ufa for 2 more seasons after a season where he essentially regressed is a good deal for everyone. Fair MARKET value (see halak) for Price is 3.75 million right now, we give Price 2 million above market for 2 years, so he stays with the team for a longer period and a piece of mind that he'll be making damn good NHL money for 8 more seasons. 6 million for 5 seasons < 4.75 for 8 seasons is more money in carey's pocket in the end while the team gets a better cap hit. From Prices perspective In those 3 years (between the 5 year and 8 year contract) Price's game might drop off, he can become injury prone, who knows? But he's pocketing 8 million dollars more in the end regardless of that.

This is how a successful general manager thinks and functions. And if we can circumvent the cap by giving Price a 12 year deal like kovalchuk or something, i'd be all for it. The point i'm making is to lockup a franchise goalie to the lowest cap hit as possible while capitalizing on the fact that he's an RFA, coming off a mediocre season and the market rate for goalies like him aren't making all that much money. I'm a forward thinker, if i see a player that i think highly of have a bad year...i'd do my best to capitalize on that poor season by extending him to a contract based on that performance knowing full well that he'll bounce back saving you millions in the end. Waiting for players to have a career season before you give them a new contract is one of the most stupid thing you can do as a general manager and so many of them make this mistake.

Last edited by GeneralManager*: 03-03-2012 at 02:04 AM.
GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote