View Single Post
Old
11-14-2003, 03:43 AM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbad
Lets not forget, Ottawa had to rid themselves of his contract and look what they got. They won the deal. Now tell me who else that had to get rid of a contract won a deal.

I look at the Weight trade,Jagr trade, it wasn't the team giving up the big player.
Yashin was a holdout, not a salary dump, the situations are not at all comparable. Could he have been gotten for less? Possibly, but not for a whole lot less. Salary dumps have their hand forced, because they need to unload the player ASAP so they can stop paying them. Holdouts on the other hand have no rush to be traded since the team is not paying them, and if they are winning there is no reason to rush a trade. Look at what Allison -- the most comparable trade seeing that it was a player of similar caliber, age, and identical situation -- returned. Boston got a 40 goal scorer and a second line center -- although the deal later turned into Allison and a 7th for Murray, a season of Stumpel, a 2nd and a 4th. All things considered, Boston has so far won that trade.

I also have difficulty believing that Chara would've developed the same way on the Islanders. He has clearly benefitted from a system and a team that can mask his biggest weakness -- his skating -- and it has built his confidence so he could improve his all around game. I think he would've been terrible under Laviolette, and we likely would not have acquired Aucoin had we not traded Chara. With no proper way of showcasing Chara on the Islanders I think his value would've dropped significantly, and he'd have had less value than Aucoin has now.

That isn't to say I wouldn't love to have Chara back, as we could certainly use him. I'm just saying, I wouldn't take back the series of Milbury deals that happened that summer if given the option.