View Single Post
Old
11-14-2003, 03:50 AM
Der Schweinehund

vCash: 500
Quote:
IMHO it's way too early to overly criticize Eddie Olczyk's performance as a coach. Although I would have never had some of these players that are on the roster -on my roster - Olczyk has said that he is giving the players an opportunity and it may be their last one. I think the guy needs more time before bringing out the guillotine . . . which we all have said has come out much too often in Penguin history.
Here we will disagree - big surprise. My issue is that Edzo hasn't brought what he said he would. Where is that hustle? Where is that system? Where is that aggressive forecheck? They aren't executing in any form. There is certainly a case to be made that non-execution is a player thing, not a coach thing.

However, I counter that with the fact his 'system' and techniques, particularly around line composition/juggling are not conducive to building a system. Let these guys play together for two, three, four games in a row and then build on it.

I am not advocating the guillotine at this point, rather the fact that any leeway we may have be giving him must be lifted. He does deserve two or three months more at least, but there needs to be demonstrable increases in the overall cohesion, responsiveness and hustle of this team. There is no excuse for a team to play as flat as they do. They don't have to win - just make some bloody effort (especially after you have been embarrassed).