View Single Post
Old
03-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Robert Svehla: one of my favourite players ever. I have had him three times, twice in an ATD. In atd12 he was my #6 but played on the 2nd ES pairing. He was heavily criticized as far as I can recall. I began to re-evaluate whether my mancrush was tainting my objective opinion of him as a player. I think that maybe it was. It doesn't seem right for him to be going this soon, but maybe I am wrong. Anyone care to comment other than the 3 GMs who apparently also coveted him?
I think Svehla on a 2nd pairing would be pretty bad, yes.

I know what you mean about being hesitant to draft personal favorites. I learned this the hard way when I drafted Walt Tkaczuk to play 2nd line center for me in ATD#9 and got laughed at. I put a band aid on the problem with Bobby Smith and inexplicably that team reached the semifinals, but yes, it is easy to get burned by drafting your own guys.

This is the reason I have never drafted any dynasty Isles players, and why I have been extremely selective in drafting old Rangers in this thing (Sharks aren't really that hard, as there are so few worth drafting). I prefer quantifiable arguments about players who I can see without bias. Although I'm something of an old man in the ATD, I've never been comfortable pimping players with "because I saw him" arguments. I believe too strongly in the fallibility of memory and perspective to think that thirty year old recollections are a good way of measuring the relative value of players across the entire universe of hockey.