View Single Post
Old
03-03-2012, 06:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm coming around on making a change at the GM level, but unlike most of you I'm also 100% happy to keep GMGM around. The guy built a hell of a team, and as recently as July of 2011 he made some moves that were, on the whole, almost universally applauded.

There's a reason everyone though the Caps would be good this year: they should have been good this year because of the work done by GMGM.

EDIT: Also, I don't think GMGM gets enough credit for turning around the finances of this team. He took a team that was near the bottom of the league in revenue and attendance and turned it into a team that sells out more often than not. Now, rather than being a cap floor team, they spend beyond the cap on a regular basis. That's a major accomplishment, and it's one that will make the team better in the long run.
Here's the biggest issue IMO, because you're right, he's done some great things and is no dummy. I actually think he's pretty shrewd, but there comes a time when you only get so many chances. Having a superstar talent adds the pressure to win and expectations. 14 years he's had. Wasn't it McPhee who said about Hanlon that some people who start this journey won't be here to see it end? Well his time is up if this team misses the playoffs IMO.

As for selling tickets...Ovechkin and company. Nothing to do with McPhee other than being the guy who's lap Ovy fell into.