View Single Post
Old
11-14-2003, 06:19 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
CJ can be blamed (and I blamed him) for certain specific decisions, but to say he should go or his system doesn't work is far too extreme. His system works. He didn't invent it and it's not rocket science. Playing defense only needs commitment, a thing we don't get from everybody on a nightly basis.

But there's an other aspect that is often overlooked. Special units. We're among the worst of the league both in PP and PK (around 26th/27th for both I beleive). This is unacceptable for a team like us. Our lack of speed, grit and size can definitely be problematic 5 on 5 but a defensive oriented team like ours *MUST* capitalize on its scoring chances on the PP or this is what will happen all year. Losing by a 1-2 goal margin. We're limited talent wise, but not enough to justify our poor showing in this department. Players like Perreault, Koivu, Zednik, Ribeiro, Ryder, Hossa, Markov, Souray and Brisebois should be enough to get you by. This has IMO to become a priority during practices. And I mean the main, if not the only focus for a while.

If Guy Charron is not doing the job right, replace him. If he is, then it's time to try something, anything, to get it going. There's no movement whatsoever during PP and when a player dumps it in, the others don't go and get it back. Don't look further than that. There's a big part of the problem right there IMO. More movement, aggressivity and shots during PP will increase our chances of scoring during those opporunities and therefore win games, even if we don't score much 5 on 5.