Thread: Faceoffs
View Single Post
Old
03-04-2012, 10:33 AM
HabsAtak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
DD is at 50% and he's over 50% career if I remember correctly. He's not poor on faceoffs, but anything to bash the guy.
The problem with a flat rate of 50% is not that it is good or great it is where the face offs are when they are won. If the majority of the face offs to make up the 50% success rate are in the neutral zone then the stat is skewed. Yes, a face off is a face off but there is no doubting a face off late in the game in our own zone or the oppositions zone is more important. Having someone or two that can win those types of face offs goes a long ways to puck possession and winning.

What the Habs are missing is a true face off guy in our own zone to win them the majority of the time. Someone like Malhotra who I believe if I heard right on CBC is at 70% in his own zone. That is where Vancouver uses him mostly.

The other part of that stat is that for the most part DD for example is really good at taking face offs on the PP which in most cases is in the other teams zone.

I am trying to find a site that does the breakdown according to zone but have yet to find one.

HabsAtak is offline   Reply With Quote