WEC-A All-Star Team (1978, 1979)
WEC-A Best Defenceman Award (1979)

Czechoslovakian Hockey League:

SeasonsGPGAPTSPIM
No Data:
Penalty minutes: 1968-1977

Top-10 Scoring (5th, 12th)
Top-10 Assist (2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 9th)

Top-5 Scoring Among Defenceman (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd)
Top-5 Goalscoring Among Defenceman (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd)
Top-5 Assist Among Defenceman (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th)

[...]

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post45507901
(Updated version of Hawkey Town 18 biography, with basically more statistics and quotes)

------

My take on Jiri Bubla:

Offensively: I'm extremely impress by Jiri Bubla offensive results in the Czech league. For someone who was deemed a two years wonder in the Czech league, he ended up an impressive 4 time as the best scoring defenceman in the Czech league, over Jan Suchy, Frantisek Pospisil, Oldrich Machac and another offensive defenceman that should be an ATD selection. He place Top-5 in the overall league in term of assist a staggering 4 time! 9-time he was top-5 in assists among defenceman! It shows he was more more of a playmaker than a goalscorer, which quotes agrees with. He was a great passer and excellent in the transititon game. He was also renown as a great quarterback on the powerplay.

Speed: Bubla was a decent skater in term of speed, but he mostly relied on his excellent mobility to make thing happen on the ice.

Defensive play: Bubla was a better defensive player than I credited him for. Far from a liability, he was however a better offensive player than a defensive one. I would call him a 'light' two-way player.

Toughness: Although LoH wrote that he had difficulty translating his tough brand of hockey onto an NHL rink, it's the only quotes I could find on the matter. I found far more quotes on Bubla hard physical brand of hockey, which he was able to implement in the NHL, including one of HoF broadcaster Jim Robson and Bublas himself. Perhaps he was not the physical monster in was in Czech anymore, as he was now in his 30's and the north american player were bigger and stronger, but I'm not believing he suddently became a soft player in the NHL.

That's all. I believe Jiri Bubla is vastly underrated, and perhaps my biggest steal of the draft. He's obviously a couple of notch under Jan Suchy and Frantisek Pospisil, but I just cannot justify the HUGE difference in placement (142/177 vs. 526). The 300's would be a far better placement for Bubla I believe, but feel free to disagree and present a counter argument.