View Single Post
Old
03-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Ducks sign G Viktor Fasth

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...-nhl-kontrakt/

Quote:
Viktor Fasth is in all likelyhood lost for Swedish Ice Hockey.
According to Expressen's sources, the Swedish Elite League's biggest star will recieve a one way-contract from the Anaheim Ducks in the NHL, which is exactly what the AIK goaltender wants.

"I know that there are teams that has expressed interest in me, but the step from interest to a contract offer is pretty big", Fasth says.

Last season, Viktor Fasth made sure that league newcomer AIK suprised everyone and reached the semifinals. He also took team Sweden to a World Championship Silver medal and was also awarded with Guldpucken (same as the NHL's Hart Trophy but for the SEL and the National team).

After that, many NHL teams offered him two way contracts. But Fasth declined the offers, as he was expecting his first child and wanted a one way contract, as an insurance that the club would have faith in him.

This season he has once again showed that he's the best goalie and the biggest star of the Swedish Elite League. And the continued success has made him coveted among NHL teams again.

According to sources to Expressen, many teams have shown interest and Anaheim is one of the front runners.
According to those sources, the Ducks are going to offer Fasth a one way deal after this season.

"I know that there are teams that has expressed interest in me, but the step from interest to a contract offer is pretty big. I have a contract with AIK next season and right now that's all it is", Fasth says.

His current contract with AIK forces teams of the KHL to buy him if they are interested. However, signed SEL-players are free to go to the NHL prior to june 15th if that's what they want.

Because of Anaheims strong interest, it would have to take a complete turnaround either from the club or from Fasth for the goalie to stay with AIK beyond this season. If he doesn't choose Anaheim, chances are big that some other club will come with an enticing offer.

"My dream is still the NHL, but right now my focus is with AIK and at the playoffs. All these kind of things will have to wait until after the season", Viktor Fasth says.
Player profile:

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5147

Quote:
A quick, technical goaltender with excellent instincts. Calm, mentally strong and has no real weaknesses. Plays a hybrid style with a mix of stand-up and butterfly. Latebloomer.
This guy is just way too good for the SEL. He's like the Tim Thomas of Sweden, a late bloomer. I have no doubts that he would make an excellent NHL backup, and maybe even more than that.

So according to the story, the only chance of him not ending up in Anaheim is if some other NHL team offers him a one way-deal as well, or if the Ducks withdraws theirs.

Last edited by Elvs: 04-07-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote