Thread: Speculation: Your Offseason
View Single Post
Old
03-05-2012, 01:18 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Sharks have already been first in the standings and still didn't win a cup. Those front office people may be qualified but who's to say they fire DW, bring in an assitant GM and that person sets back the team even further?

It's an unknown I'm personally not ready for.
More often than not, going to the conf. finals is followed by a downturn. To go 2 years in a row is an accomplishment not to looked down upon. Look at some of the guys who have made the "big" trades after winning the cup. They have faded to almost nothingness. MOC had a major downturn through his moves. Dudley would have traded Lecavalier before he was fired and Tampa subsequently won a cup. Burke was lucky in Anaheim to get Neids and have a fantastic draft yet managed to create a team which was the definition of one and done. Burke may have got the Sedins for Vanc., but it was the subsequent group which did the tweaks to get them to the finals and Burke's draft record is not impressive. Rutherford won a cup but has holes in his resume with a very erratic playoff record.

The "big" trades have a very spotty record for team effect. Consistency for a GM comes from drafting and developing well. We are watching teams climb to the pinnacle who have insisted on quality in that regard. The Sharks are above average, but not great. They parlayed a decent record in trades plus their drafting to get where they are, but it is definitely short. If they were to replace DW, they should really be looking to a GM who goes with the "from within" philosophy and a reworking of the scouting group. The environment mitigates against GMs who have that philosophy with almost all following a path of meddling (trading) too much. Good luck finding the right guy in these circumstances.

I doubt that there is a big trade out there that will immediately improve the Sharks at this point. I think that the next big trade will signal the start of a major reworking of the Sharks lineup and with any luck a change in the philosophy of the front office with regards to buying talent.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote