View Single Post
Old
03-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I'm saying you can look at the overall team and figure out why they have a bad +/-. Trying to point to an 'advanced stat' that tells you how much better their teammates are is quite irrelevant.

Put 2 guys on the same team, one has 15 more goals and a better +/-, he's simply a more useful player than the other guy, no matter if the guy has better 'QoC' and worst 'puck luck'.

+/- is a useful stat (unlike what some people pretend it is), it's not good when it's used to gauge defensive performance or used in a vacuum for individual performance.

Microstats are cool, but they are so far behind actual scouting when it comes to gauging player ability when compared to baseball, for example, that I very much doubt a pro scouting staff with all the advanced stats will be significantly more proficient than another with very light use of them.
OK, what does the fact that Nash, Tyutin and Brassard have the worst +/- on the Blue Jackets tell you? That they are the worst forwards and dman on the team? Or that something else is going on, and you need context? Maybe there is a large split in who faces tough competition in Columbus - and maybe, instead of looking over shift charts one at a time (though that is useful, it is also time consuming), you want a measure of which Blue Jackets play against the league's toughest outshooters.

To me, this is the purpose of advanced (although they are actually not that complicated) stats. To complement what your eye already picks up when watching something like Rick Nash playing well but get outscored, and to provide context.