View Single Post
Old
03-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
If we were to go long term with a European goalie I would've like Leonardo Genoni. Look at his stats. He plays for the same team Hiller did and his stats were practically identical. Some Davos fans argue that he's better than Hiller was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
That was the first I thought about Fasth too. He is 6.00, usually the Ducks prefer bigger goalies.
Everybody does, and for good reason. They still use the "can't teach size" phrase for skaters, and well, it's far more important for goalies. I was surprised to see that Fasth actually isn't bigger than that, as he plays a lot taller. Really liked his style from what I saw. Really not that sure about Genoni, but I've seen even less from him. That size is quite a bit to overcome. Not saying it's impossible, as it's just a tad smaller than Enroth and Halak (given the numbers I have), but it's a long shot. Fasth definitely seems to be the safer pick, especially short- and mid-term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
If Hiller was this good playing this many games, imagine how good he could be with proper rest if Fasth is as good as he seems.
Unfortunately, you can't really project things to work that way. Hiller always wanted to play many games, including back-to-backs, of which he had many in Switzerland, as well. It's not necessarily a huge problem for a goalie, and when it isn't, it often helps them. The additional exhaustion that may be there some days can well be countered by the plus of having that rhythm. Not saying it can't be a plus (it obviously can), but as long as Hiller is playing well, we can't really expect him to be better by being given more nights off. But as a team, you certainly want to be in a situation where you can give him a night off once in a while, just to help the chance that your number one can maintain that quality play for longer.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote