View Single Post
Old
03-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Considering the season the habs are having, I don't think that means much. Even Plekanec is on pace for 15 goals with the habs after putting up 20+ goals the last 5 years. Same can be said of Kostitsyn and Cammalleri while they were here.

Also there are guys like Joel Ward making the same salary and ridiculous players like Leino making even more. Bourque gets paid pretty fair for what he brings. The only thing that could be negative is his length of contract.
fair enough...

but I don't see how bringing up two comparable players who are widely seen as free agent-signing busts does anything but confirm that Bourque is NOT "a bargain" @ 3.3M$.

what's worse, is whereas Buffalo/Washington gave out those contracts at a time when both player's value were at an all-time high, we traded for Bourque when his value was at a distinctly low point.

also, Leino seems to have picked up his game, along with the rest of the Sabres, giving them 10pts in his last 18 games (they are 11-4-3 in that span), and as for Ward, his production really isn't that far off his typical, what's more interesting is that the Caps don't play him much (~13min/g) and don't use him almost at all on the PK (after being one of the PK leaders for Nashville)...

I maintain that for Bourque to be anything but another "dead weight" veteran contract assembled by this management team, he needs to return to a much higher level of production. He isn't a guy that is particularly good defensively, so his impact needs to come from physical play and from production. he has been using his body, but his production is no where near good enough, whatever the excuse.

Cammy & Kost were both jettisoned for their lack of production... so again, not sure how it's a useful comparison unless to point out that Bourque is skating on thin ice if he continues to play this way?