View Single Post
Old
03-05-2012, 05:34 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I think it's enough of a bump to be more than just a couple deep OT games. He's averaged 25:28 in the playoffs over the course of his career, which is about 3 minutes higher than his regular season average. In his 7 playoff seasons, his lowest per-game average was 24:16 per game in 2004. In 2010 he was at almost 27 minutes a night for the Flyers' run to the finals, and he led the team in both PP and PK iceteam.
he was getting slightly less icetime prior to Nashville's first playoff season and is not gettign much this season. So his actual TOI average in the playoffs from 2004-2011 is 23:04, meaning he gets 2:24 more per game in the playoffs.

Looking at other top defensemen around the league, I don't think that this is statistically out of line.

Just looking at his own team, for example, in 2010, Pronger went up 3:00 in the playoffs. Timonen went up 3:30. Carle went up 2:30. Coburn went up 4:00.

If the average length of a Kimmo Timonen playoff game was just 66:16 then it would explain the icetime spike 100%. It is possible that his average is that high, but not likely. It's probably somewhere in the middle. So some OT can explain it partially, and the fact that #1-2 defensemen tend to start getting a larger share of the icetime in the playoffs (usually at the expense of the 3rd pairing) explains the rest. If there was a statistically significant difference here I would give it credit for sure. But I don't think there is.