Old
03-05-2012, 05:36 PM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
he was getting slightly less icetime prior to Nashville's first playoff season and is not gettign much this season. So his actual TOI average in the playoffs from 2004-2011 is 23:04, meaning he gets 2:24 more per game in the playoffs.

Looking at other top defensemen around the league, I don't think that this is statistically out of line.

Just looking at his own team, for example, in 2010, Pronger went up 3:00 in the playoffs. Timonen went up 3:30. Carle went up 2:30. Coburn went up 4:00.

If the average length of a Kimmo Timonen playoff game was just 66:16 then it would explain the icetime spike 100%. It is possible that his average is that high, but not likely. It's probably somewhere in the middle. So some OT can explain it partially, and the fact that #1-2 defensemen tend to start getting a larger share of the icetime in the playoffs (usually at the expense of the 3rd pairing) explains the rest. If there was a statistically significant difference here I would give it credit for sure. But I don't think there is.
Why doesn't he get credit for being a #1/2 defenseman in the playoffs? I'm a little confused about what your issue is with his icetime. He was clearly playing a ton of minutes, including heavy PK time. Surely that's more than adequate for a #6 defenseman in the ATD.