View Single Post
Old
03-05-2012, 09:59 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I'd have to agree with you there. And it'll be useful to keep Hasek rested for the playoffs, as he wasn't a regular season workhorse to the degree that some other goalies were (although you could argue that he worked more than most goalies in the games he did play).

I also had Rayner ranked as being the end of a "tier" of sorts. He was the last of the guys who I think could pass as a starter (albeit a very low-end one). His small playoff resume hurts him a bit, but there wasn't much he could do about. And it's not a huge issue as a backup anyways. He'll probably just be expected to play 20 regular season games and then ride the pine in the playoffs behind Hasek, which he's very capable of doing.
- That's was my thought process as well. Dominik Hasek was not a workhouse like Martin Brodeur for example, so I wanted a good regular season backup.

- I also agree to that. Without going too specific, I would say Rayner should be ranked in betweeen 28th-to-32nd all-time, which would make him one of the worst starter in the draft. I think most stray away from him as a #1 and decide to go the 'Gerry Cheevers' route is the fact that he never won a Stanley Cup, which is defendable to a point. However, just like Roy Worters, he was great in every opportunity he got in the playoffs, even being arguably the best player of the 1950 playoffs, although he lost in the finals (he received a retro-Conn Smythe for those performances).

- And yes overpass, if Hasek get 'injured' in the playoffs, Rayner is a great backup to have